There are times when you don’t use your swimming pool especially during the colder months. Do you know that swimming pool covers in Alamo are not only for the hot months, but also for the seasons when the pool is not in use?
In the off-seasons — fall and especially winter — the temperature drops and the weather will be sporadic at best. Obviously you won’t need to use the swimming pool for the moment. As the chilly season approaches, you will want to start considering to “winterize” your swimming pool. That is the method of maintaining the pool water during the colder months. The main purpose of “winterizing” is to keep the swimming pool clean, as well as to protect it from damage due to colder weather. Closing your swimming pool with a cover is one of the essential steps to keep the pool itself undamaged and its water clean.
Here are some tips to keep your pool clean and intact during the off-season:
- Before closing your pool for the season, make sure that you balance your pool water’s chemistry. This will protect the pool from corrosion and scale buildup that can happen during the months when the pool is closed. Here are the ideal adjustments for your pool’s pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness when your pool is shut down and not in use:
- Adjust the pH level to a level between 7.6 and 7.8
- Adjust the alkalinity to a level between 80 and 100 ppm (parts per million)
- Adjust the calcium hardness to a level between 150 to 250 ppm
- Shock the water with chlorine. Chlorine will help kill bacteria that may be living in the pool as well as to bring the water’s chlorine level up to 10 to 12 ppm. Then, leave the water to decrease to its normal level before taking the steps below.
- When the pool water has come down to its normal level — about 1.5 to 3.5 ppm — then it’s time to add some cleaning agents such as a mid-winter algaecide. Buy a brand of algaecide that stays well in the pool for a long time. Add the algaecide into the water and run the pump for 24 hours to fully circulate. Finally, shut the pump down for the off-season.
- You may also want to lower the water level of your pool. Using either a filter pump or a submersible pump, bring down the water level to about four to six inches below the skimmer. The off-season is also a good time to clean out the shed and get rid of leftover chemicals you used during that season.
- Of course, before covering your pool, check your pool’s system first. Inspect your pool’s pipes, motorized parts, heater, filter, and every part that goes into your pool. Drain the water from pump, heater, filter and chlorinating equipment. This will prevent the water from freezing if there should be a cold snap. You know that when ice forms in these pipes, they crack and result into serious damage. Keep your pools covered during the off-season to keep the water clean.
- Finally, close your swimming pool with a winter cover. A durable, high-quality cover will keep debris out of the pool — fallen leaves, twigs, branches, bird excrement, and many items that may be accidentally thrown into the pool (like children’s toys). In addition to keeping the pool clean, covers also offer safety. It will keep toddlers, smaller children, other people (especially those who don’t know how to swim), and pets out of the pool.
Think of buying pool covers as an investment. Why settle for an inferior swimming pool cover if you are not sure it will keep your pool clean and provide safety for you and your family? When it comes to pool covers, look no further than Pool Covers, Inc. We offer a wide range of high quality swimming pool covers as well safety spa covers for your needs in any type of season. Our manual covers are economical, but provide the optimum protection for your pool as well as safety for you and your family. Our state-of-the-art Infinity 4000™ automatic pool covers, on the other hand, are advanced and high-tech — superior pool covers that would be a great safety addition to your household.
High-quality pool covers offer many benefits to those who have swimming pools in their backyards. During the summer months, pool covers help to slow down evaporation and retain the heat in the water when the pool is not in use. In the off-season, pool covers keep the water from freezing completely. In any season, these swimming pool covers in Alamo do a great service by keeping the pool clean and providing safety for everyone.